Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Online Animation Review: Over the Garden Wall

I'm going to come right out and say it - I don't have enough praise for this mini show. I'm only three episodes in and I'm enamored. Also, spoilers.

Right off the bat, the show sucks you into this weird, mysterious, dangerous and beautiful world where two brothers, Wirt and Greg, are just trying to find their way home through a forest.

A lot of the style and backgrounds are very reminiscent of old-school Disney animation; beautiful paintings that are just a liiiiittle bit creepy, and that kind of sums up the whole show. It is definitely creepy, and things aren't always clear at first. So far my favorite episode is two: Hard Times at the Huskin' Bee.

Greg and Wirt find themselves a town in the middle of the forest, but something isn't quite... right. The mysterious pumpkin people are not what they seem, and just when they seem to be evil and out to kill the brothers, they surprise you again and say, yeah - go ahead and leave, it's fine. And this kind of underlines what the show is all about. You think you know what's going to happen, but you don't and it always surprises you. The two brothers are adorable and complete opposites. You never quite know what is going on. This old-school sweet animation suddenly turns scary as hell, then turns back to sweet. This is one of the best short series I've come across in a long time. It's a little hard to find; I found some episodes on youtube and I think Cartoon Network might have some up - I mostly found only clips of the series. Really, REALLY worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment