Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Manga Review: Inu- Yashiki

I know, I know I'm harping a lot on the anime/manga side of things and I swear I have three sci-fi/fantasy books I'm going through right now BUT I happened to click on this manga and....wow.

This is a very unusual manga. It's hyper realistic, it stays absolutely true to Japanese culture (whereas I know a great many anime/manga borrow from Western culture a lot) and it has a focus on an older, middle-aged man. Unheard of.

Inuyashiki has lived a rather, well, worthless life. He's only in his fifties but looks 95. His family hates him, the world is cruel and then he learns he has cancer. The only thing that will mourn him is his dog.

You think that's bad? Then he gets hit by an alien space machine, dies instantly but is rebuilt wearing his own skin.

This manga is exactly three chapters so far but it's interesting and different. I am very curious to see where this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment